Tuesday, February 22, 2005

This one is for Soccer fans!

With the first phase of the pre-quarter finals in the UEFA Champions League scheduled tonight, it is but natural that I'd want to talk about the Match-ups tonight..

First, the BIG one, Real Madrid - Juventus.. It doesn't get any bigger than this in any competition.. Two of the biggest clubs in Europe.. Personally, I'd love to see Juve coming out on top but the star-studded Real is very unpredictable and on their day, I have to admit they are unbeatable.. And it seems Nedved may not play for Juve after all which would be a really huge blow.. Hope he recovers in time..

Secondly, Bayern Munich - Arsenal.. Bayern is known for its resillience and are definitely tough opponents to beat.. their performances this season haven't been extraordinary.. However, they are facing an Arsenal side which has a lot to prove.. After many disappointments in EPL, Arsenal will look to go far in this competition this year.. A lot will depend on their away match performance ofcourse.. Personally, I can't support any English club, so I am rooting for Bayern..

Another Anglo-German clash.. Liverpool-Bayern Leverkussen.. I admit I don't know much about Leverkussen but judging by their performances this season in champions league, they should be able to overcome an injury-hit Liverpool team..

Finally, Monaco-PSV Eindhoven.. Monaco are clear favourites for this one.. they have the flair and depth of talent to go far this year.. It should be interesting to see what Guus Hiddink comes up with for PSV..

I shan't be able to watch tonight's matches as we'll be celebrating my room-mate Punit's Birthday.. But hopefully tomorrow I'll get to watch the other big matches Man U/Milan and Barca/Chelsea..

Will be back with more soccer news tomorrow!!

No comments: