Wednesday, March 02, 2005

The New Indian Star!

It seems as if I am blogging more about sports than anything! It is tennis' turn this time ..

After an unexpected run to the third round of the Australian Open, Sania Mirza definitely captured the minds of the Indian media. We had to wait for a long time to get a youth icon like her in sports other than cricket. To be honest, I was still pretty skeptical about terming her as the next big thing for Indian tennis, etc. The Indian media has a tendency to go overboard anyway. But seeing her win the Hyderabad Open(I hope that's what it was called!) and now come up with an incredible victory against the reigning US Open champion, Svetlana Kuznetsova has definitely quelled any doubts I had regarding her talent. I sincerely hope that she is able to build upon this extremely impressive start to her career. There is always the danger of athletes like her succumbing to injuries which affect their career.

On the positive front, she has age on her side. She's four years younger than me, can you imagine! I've started feeling old nowadays with so many sports personalities younger than me making the news, not just in Tennis, but Cricket, Soccer and so on...

Well, at this point of time, one can only wish that Sania will live up to all the expectations that will inevitably follow her from now. Go Sania!

No comments: