Thursday, March 03, 2005

Rambling on!

With every post, the urge to keep blogging seems to increase within me! I definitely know what people mean when they claim to be blog-addicts! Bala's blog has been a very useful source for me to pick up info about lot of other bloggers. I think I must have gone through as many as 10 blogs just today!

Bala's post today about philosophy/views on modern day "kids" was pretty interesting.. His observation about kids today not reading books is true to an extent. However, I would like to point out that kids today are a lot smarter than what I was atleast as a kid. I don't think even I cared too much for books when I was in school though I used to read all the popular novels.

What I think a lot of kids miss out on (especially in big cities) is outdoor games. The amount of pressure kids face nowadays academically here in India is pretty scary. I remember the times when I was in 10th standard when I never even bothered to go to tuitions. Nowadays, kids seem to attend tuitions right from 5th standard! I can't imagine attending tuitions every day after school right from 5th standard! I and my friends(some of them,not all!!) used to play cricket during our annual exams in school!! As a kid, I never missed a single oppurtunity to play Cricket or Football. Living in a place like Bhilai as a kid also helps I guess where you have loads of open spaces.

As for philosophy, I bought myself a book on Vedanta philosophy very recently and I should be in a better position to comment on this issue after reading the book. I must admit I have developed an interest in philosophy lately and I am making a sincere effort to collect info from different sources.

I was reading an interesting story (Thanks to Amit Varma's blog) about how poor women in our country are unknowingly getting affected by our traditional sources of fuel. It is an alarming thought that so many women have been/are getting affected. It is very difficult to see how we could actually tackle a situation like this.

Last but by no means the least, I read a nice review of this year's budget. I think it is the most unbiased account of this year's budget that I have read.

With that, I shall sign off for today!!

1 comment:

Soultan of Swing said...

Dude,
Kids today dont even go out and play. They's rather be cooped up in their room playing "AoE" rather than cricket/football..