Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Swinging with the Sultan ...

Still trying to convince myself that I was actually there watching Mark Knopfler perform LIVE! (that's the link to the Mumbai concert, the songs he played in Bangalore were almost the same!)What an evening.. We reached Palace Grounds around 5.45 in the evening, almost 2 hrs before the concert. And a good thing we made it early. We managed to get a place in the front row of the second section, with a good view of the stage and the display screen. Although it was frustrating waiting for the show to start, well, it was really worth it!!

Around 7.30 p.m., before we even realized it, the Sultan was on stage! He started off with "Why Aye Man" and the crowd went berserk.. Over the next two hours, the whole crowd(pretty huge one, i must add) was completely spellbound as we watched the Sultan("His Guitarness" as Bala calls him!) and company take the breath out of everyone with some phenomenal music. Although one can say he could have played more Dire Straits numbers, I for one really liked his own numbers. For Dire Straits fans, there was Walk of Life, Romeo and Juliet, Telegraph Road, Brothers in Arms, Money for Nothing, So Far Away and of course, Sultans of Swing! He played Sailing to Philadelphia, Boom like that, Donovan's gone among others as well..
Of all the songs, I must say I was absolutely blown listening to Telegraph Road live with the amazing lighting effects. I could keep going on and on about the Sultan i guess, so suffice to say that this was a day I don't think I'd ever forget...

Moving on to the other big story for the day, the Indo-Pak Test Series. I came to know that Pakistan scored 312 in their first innings.. I very conveniently forgot that the match was starting today!! Honours even at the end of the first day.. Let's see how this match proceeds..

It feels good to blog again after 3-4 days.. Been a hectic time lately without really doing anything worth writing about.. The only thing I can think of is meeting Vijee and Bhaskar last weekend.. Vijee is of course my senior from Dept. of Textile Technology at ACTech.. He was the gold medallist in his batch!! Bhaskar is working in NCBS now.. Although he is technically in the same city, the distance we have to cover to actually meet is almost 30 kms.. Anyway, it was nice catching up with them..

Thats all I can think of after a busy day.. Hopefully will cover a wider range of topics in my next post..

No comments: