Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Remembering the Mahatma..

With the 75th anniversary of the Dandi March this year, it is quite overwhelming to see so many people paying tribute to the Father of our Nation.. Although I am someone who does not necessarily agree with all of Mahatma Gandhi's philosophies, I still think he is the greatest Leader that India has produced. I don't think any other leader could have claimed to be able to mobilize the masses in the manner that he did.. He managed to convert the National Movement into a movement of the masses.. In fact, as I write this, I am wondering what right people like me have to comment on a man of his stature. It is very easy for us to sit and criticize whatever happened without even beginning to understand all that happened during our national struggle..
I would strongly recommend
India's Struggle For Independence by Bipan Chandra to anyone who is remotely interested in reading about our freedom struggle.

Of all the things that the great man spoke about, I strongly believe in and advocate the principle of non-violence. I don't think war solves any purpose, neither do I agree that war can't be avoided
.
As the song from Dire Straits goes:
"But its written in the starlight,
And every line in your palm,
We're fools to make war on our Brothers in Arms!"

No comments: